Wednesday, 13 April 2016

Stitch Potential is EVERYWHERE - just look!

Cushions collected whilst travelling abroad 
It's nearly three weeks since my last 'Whichford Pottery Indulgence' and you might wonder what on earth a pottery has to do with stitching. It's one if the places to which I gravitate when mental sustenance is needed prior to a long and tricky creative job on the computer. Instantly, today, two appliqué cushions from the far east - adorned with kantha running-stitch - had me kneeling on the floor capturing them photographically.

My line-sketches are
are usually free-machine
stitched on calico, then
used as appliqué motifs
I find images for stitching everywhere - odd angles, shapes, plants, patterns. I don't go looking for them; they almost come running! Strange - I probably would not sit and sketch, or even write, if I were at home. I need that external stimulus and sense of pleasure at tasks already accomplished, away from a normal routine. 

Every table in the Straw Cafe is adorned with simple flowers
grown in the pottery display areas. Inspiration for more
sewing when each is enlarged photographically and
converted to stitch in any number of ways










So I'm re-charging the soul-cells at the pottery, and the body with food, in the relaxing and friendly 'Straw Cafe' - a  beetroot and feta cheese on honey-drizzled toast, served with a delicious side-salad grown on the premises. And herbal 'balance' tea: floral, with rose-petals, coriander seeds, cardamon pods and a whole lot else. Moleskin and iPhone in conjunction: there's plenty of sewing happiness to come from today's trawl. (post created by ann somerset miles). 

URGENT NOTICE for BDEG MEMBERS: DONT FORGET THE 'SEW REGIONAL' DAY IN ABINGDON THIS SATURDAY (16th April) and the EMBROIDERERS' GUILD AGM IN MANCHESTER ON SATURDAY 7th MAY. 


No comments:

Post a Comment